Mercury Free Dentistry
Silver, or mercury-amalgam dental fillings contain from 48-55 percent mercury, which is a potent neurotoxin. Scientific studies have demonstrated that mercury, even in small amounts, can cause damage to organs, glands, blood cells, enzymes and hormones, and have been shown to suppress the body’s immune system. Watch this informative video by Dr. Tom McGuire, DDS
Mercury Free Dentistry Headlines
Read the IAOMT’s recently updated (March 2016) position paper regarding mercury amalgam fillings here.
In October of 2011, the U.S. Department of State announced its new position on the use of mercury-amalgam fillings, signaling a new policy direction away from the use of mercury-containing products for human healthcare.
Here’s what the well-regarded website WebMD.com says about mercury-amalgam fillings:
Amalgam fillings are made from liquid mercury mixed with a powder containing silver, tin, copper, zinc, and other metals. It was once thought that the mercury in fillings was permanently trapped in the amalgam. Not any more.
When people chew, the fillings emit mercury vapor that is absorbed by the body. Even for people with lots of fillings, it’s a small amount of mercury. But since mercury is toxic even at very low levels, there’s growing concern that the mercury in fillings could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for people with other mercury exposures. And dental professionals are routinely exposed to the vapors.
Even now, the FDA does not recommend that people have their fillings removed. But the agency does say that people concerned about the possible health effects of dental fillings should talk with their qualified health care practitioner.
During removal and replacement of mercury-amalgam fillings, some mercury is inevitably released as a vapor. During such procedures, we utilize the Huggins protocol to minimize your risk of exposure.
The following are the methods used to reduce mercury vapor exposure to both patient and operator during amalgam removal.
- Patients undergo a three day course of Lypospheric Vitamin C leading up to mercury removal.
- Head and neck of the patient are covered with a disposable Tyvek hood.
- Patient is covered with a disposable drape to prevent mercury particles from getting onto their body or clothing.
- Doctor and dental assistant are protected by Tyvek protective wear, filtered respirator masks, and non-latex gloves.
- An alternative source of air (oxygen) is given to patient via nasal mask.
- Non-latex rubber dam is placed to isolate the quadrant of teeth involved.
- The Dental AirVac is placed within 8 inches of the patient’s mouth, providing added vacuum and elimination to mercury vapors and particles.
- A saliva ejector is placed under the dental dam during mercury filling removal to retrieve any vapors that will pass through the dental dam.
- High volume suction (“Clean Up”) and copious irrigation with water is used during the sectioning and removal of mercury.
- After the rubber dam is removed, all areas of the mouth are thoroughly rinsed with water.
- Patient is given 2 capsules of activated charcoal at the end of the procedure to bind with any particles that may find their way into the intestines.
- Detoxifying and immune system supplements are considered and evaluated for optimal health.
- A whole office system of 5 Hepa filters is constantly utilized to provide the cleanest air possible.
- Our office utilizes a centralized mercury separating unit that collects 99% of mercury before it is passed into waste water.
Our staff is well-experienced in these procedures and will take extra care to protect you from any potential mercury contamination. After the old fillings have been safely removed, we will replace them with BPA and BIS-GMA free, non-toxic, non-metallic ceramic resin fillings. These fillings also have the advantage of being white, not silver, making them practically invisible to the naked eye.
Mercury Filling Removal Video
Dr. Ryan Jones explains the amalgam filling removal process, and the safety procedures involved.Watch Video