How we treat gum disease
If you are diagnosed with periodontal disease during your initial exam, a period of active treatment will remove the buildup and infection-causing bacteria, allowing your tissue inflammation to be reduced.
This is accomplished by:
- Using ultrasonic instruments to remove the tartar and plaque from above and below the gum line
- Placing antibiotics in the deepest areas of infection. To learn more about how these antibiotics work, visit Arestin’s website here
- Providing you with home care instructions and PerioScience products. We are excited about the results our patients are seeing with the use of these products that incorporate essential oils and antioxidants into fighting the oral bacteria of gum disease. To learn more about PerioSciences click here.
- A saliva test (view example) can also be used to discover which particular bacteria are causing your gum infection and which supplemental medications would be best for your individual case. To learn more about the salivary diagnostics offered by OralDNA labs, click here.
- When patients have exhibited healing and disease control, they will typically see a hygienist every 3 months for maintenance visits to prevent active disease from returning.
To learn more about our periodontal maintenance and hygiene program click here.